(5) Set DRIVE switch to the ON position, and
(4) Note the rate of charge of the battery on the
check that DRIVE indicator illuminates.
DC AMP METER.
(6) Release the tow bar latch by pressing down
(5) Continue the charging until the rate of
on the latch release lever. Lower the tow bar to the
charge reduces to approximately 15 A.
(6) Set the DC POWER switch to OFF.
(7) Remove the AGPU DC cable from the
If clutch is engaged, DO NOT TOW light
SLAVE START receptacle.
should illuminate when tow bar is lowered
c. The battery should be capable of up to 9
to approximately 60 degrees from
additional hours of operation or less, depending upon
the number of starts during the operating period.
(7) Release the brake lever`by moving it to the
d. While operating without a functional battery
charger, AGPU operators should charge the battery as
shown in Step b above for approximately 30 minutes
prior to shutdown of the GTE to assure capability to
Before depressing the "deadman" switch in
preparation for self-propulsion, personnel
must ascertain that the speed control moves
freely and recenters when released. If the
speed control appears to be binding,
extreme caution must be exercised while
The propulsion system may be operated in
moving unit under its own power.
two modes. The primary mode is with the
engine running to charge the battery. The
(8) Press down and hold the DEADMAN switch
alternate mode is without engine running,
located on the speed/direction control assembly. Listen
operating on battery power. The primary
for audible click from electric brake to ensure electric
mode should be used for movement in
brake is released.
excess of 500 feet.
a. Primary Mode Propulsion (GTE Operating).
A ground guide is required when operating
(1) Start engine in accordance with paragraph
AGPU in reverse.
(9) To move the AGPU forward, slowly twist
(2) Remove quick release pin and engage the
either of the speed/direction twist grips forward To
rear axle drive mechanism by pulling the clutch lever
reverse direction, turn either of the grips in the opposite
directly to the rear. Reinstall the quick release pin.
direction. Operate controls from left side of tow bar.
(3) Set BATTERY POWER switch to ON.