(5) Install brake shoe pins (9) through backing
(2) Before installing new parts, remove any
plate (2) and brake shoes (12). Secure with spring re-
tainers (6), springs (7) and spring retainers (8).
rials such as rust-preventive compound or protective
grease. Remove glaze from the faces of brake shoe
linings with a coarse file. If brake shoes are replaces,
(6) Install washer (5) and connect return springs
slightly bevel the edges of the linings with a fine file
(4) to backing plate stud (20). Check brake shoes (12)
before the shoes are installed.
for alignment and security. Install brake drum (3).
(7) Install wheel and tires in accordance with
b. Inspection and Repair.
(1) Inspect brake components for physical dam-
(8) Position brake adjustment spoon into slot
age. Check brake surface of drum for scoring, cracks,
on backing plate (2). With downward motion adjust
and being out-of-round. If drum scoring is minor, the
brake shoes while rotating the tire by hand until the
drum may be turned on a brake lathe. If scoring is deep,
brake shoes drag on brake drum. Back off three clicks
the drum must be replaced. If brake linings are exces-
on adjustment. Install dust cap (1).
sively worn, they must be replaced.
(2) Check brake springs for cracks or other
physical damage. If springs are weak or worn, they
should be replaced. Check brake lever and link for
cracks or other damage. Inspect adjustment compo-
nents for damage threads. Replace if damaged.
(1) Position brake lever (11) on brake shoe (12)
Open electrical trays access door.
and intall washer (19), pin (18) and retainer clip (17).
(4) K-1 and K-2 control relays
2) are lo-
(2) Lay brake shoes (12) on flat surface and in-
cated on front of upper tray assembly (3).
stall adjustment assembly (14) and spring (13) on brake
lockwashers (7) from front of K-1 and K-2 control relays
(3) Pull brake cable (10) through hole in backing
(1 and 2).
plate (2) until spring fingers released on outer side of
backing plate and lock cable in place. Hook the brake
(6) Tag and remove wires from front of K-1 and
cable to the brake lever (11).
K-2 control relays (1 and 2).
(4) Position brake shoes (12) on backing plate
(7) Remove nuts (4), lockwashers (5) from rear
(2). Spread brake shoes and install brake link spring
of K-1 and K-2 control relays (1 and 2).
(16), brake link (15) in slots on brake shoes. Connect
parking brake cable (10) to brake lever (11).